Monday, February 15, 2010

Eat this veggie!

Over the weekend, I made one of my favorite vegetables to accompany my lunch; one that I think few others ever eat. Fennel. As I took my first bite, taking in the taste of the lightly salted, crunchy/soft, toasted pieces of the licorice-scented plant, I thought "why don't more people eat this?" I think everyone should know about this tasty and healthful food, so here I am, telling you about it.
This is what fennel looks like when you buy it in the store. Sometimes it's labeled "anise."


To prepare it, cut off the green stems and slice the bulb like you would an onion. I cut the bulb in half and then slice each half. You can eat it raw on a salad or, as I prefer it, roasted in the oven. Actually, I broil it technically. Grilling is another option. Once it's sliced, I lay the slices on a baking pan sprayed with oil spray (like PAM), spray another coat of oil on top of the slices, and season with salt & pepper. Then, I put the pan under the broiler until the fennel is browned, flip the slices once and let them cook until lightly browned on the other side.

I love fennel just by itself, but it's also very good with carrots, potatoes, other root vegetables, and fish. It has a unique flavor unparalleled by other vegetables and plenty of nutrition, too. Fennel is low in calories and high in vitamin C and fiber. So next time you're in the mood for something a little different, give fennel a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment