Friday, July 23, 2010

Coconut deliciousness


It seems like coconut is a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. I don't know too many people who don't have strong feelings about coconut, one way or the other. If you're not into coconut, I'm sorry but this post won't interest you, you strange person you. If you do like coconut, you will LOVE these macaroons from Aleia's Gluten Free Foods that were recently introduced to me by my technology-challenged cousin, Thea, who will never read this. There are some pros and cons of this product, which I will outline below. But, overall I highly recommend it.

First let me get the Cons out of the way:
- They are expensive- about $8 for a bag of 24 (Yikes!)
- They are difficult to find- I have so far only seen them in some natural food stores and occasionally Stop and Shop in the New Haven, CT area. But, according to their website, they are available in many stores across Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island

Now for the Pros:
- Each cookie has only 30 calories, 1g of fat and 2g of sugar
- Each cookie has 2 grams of fiber!
- There are only 5, all-natural ingredients: coconut, water, tapioca flour, sugar, and egg whites
- They are gluten-free
- They are also available in chocolate
- They are soft and chewy
- They stay soft and chewy pretty much forever
- Most importantly, they are insanely good!

I have to mention.. these are still cookies and shouldn't be eaten with abandon, but if you're going to eat a cookie, you won't find a better combination of taste and relative innocuousness (yup, it is a word. Spellcheck says so). So, unless you are one of those inexplicable coconut-avoiders, I suggest you try to find these near you. At 33.333 cents per cookie, I'm not sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment