Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I am in chocolate heaven

Some time ago, I was browsing Whole Foods looking for a healthy, tasty, gluten-free snack- not an easy task- and I came across a display of little plastic tubs full of various kinds of cookies and brownies of a brand called "Laura's Wholesome Junk Food."

Now, I've had some pretty good gluten-free cookies before (Like these, from Enjoy Life Foods), but I still view them as treats. Most cookies that describe themselves as natural, organic, allergen-free, etc., are nevertheless primarily comprised of refined flours and sugar, and in many cases saturated fats. They may be marginally better than the mass-produced types you'd find in most grocery stores, but they are not nutritious by any means.

So, when I saw these snacks by Laura's Wholesome Junk Food, I did not get my hopes up. "Wholesome," if you aren't aware, doesn't mean much of anything and carries no implications whatsoever for the nutritional content of the food it describes. Then I read the ingredient list for one of the varieties: Xtreme Chocolate Fudge Bite-lettes. The first 8 ingredients were: rolled oats, dates, expeller pressed canola oil, fruit juice, natural grain dextrins, chocolate chips, and unsweetened natural cocoa. The remaining ingredients were all similarly natural and mostly healthful. Each 2-bite-lette serving contained 110 calories, 2 grams of fiber, and 7 grams of sugar (most I'd expect comes from the dates and fruit juice). I decided that the product was acceptable from a nutrition standpoint, so I bought them.

It turns out that they are delicious. I can't really compare them to anything else because they are pretty unique in their texture and flavor. They don't exactly taste like brownies or cookies. But they are rich and very chocolatey, with undertones of fruit and a hint of lemon that somehow makes perfect sense. The consistency is a cross between a soft oatmeal cookie and a chocolate truffle. Something about this particular flavor combination gets all the right neurons in my brain firing and is as satisfying to my inner child as a slice of ice box cake fresh out of my grandmother's refrigerator.

Maybe I'm getting a little carried away. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but they are certainly worth trying if you are looking for a new healthy snack. Apparently there are lots of other varieties, but I've been so enthralled by this one that I haven't bothered to sample the others! If you can't find them at your local Whole Foods Market, you can order them online at the links posted above.

1 comment: