Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spiced Butternut Squash

I know a thoughtful, substantive blog post is well overdue, but for now, a brief recipe will have to do. Unfortunately, it's mid-semester which means that I am studying, reading, or grading assignments pretty much all the time. And when I finally have a minute to myself, the last thing I want to do is think!

Hopefully I'll have something better to post soon, but I am really excited to share this "recipe" nonetheless. I use the term loosely because I don't usually follow recipes, per se. They're more like suggestions for cooking vague quantities of ingredients. This one is something that I decided to try on a whim and really loved.

I was inspired by a couple of butternut squash dishes I've had. My aunt makes  a delicious mashed butternut squash on holidays, but the hefty measures of butter and brown sugar that make it taste so delicious, also add a ton of empty calories and saturated fat. I have also enjoyed some unique salads that included chunks of cooled roasted butternut squash. I thought maybe I could combine these two techniques for preparing the squash to come up with something that was seasoned with fall spices and slightly sweet- reminiscent of pumpkin pie- while retaining its best nutritional qualities. What I love about butternut squash is that it has all of the nutritional benefits of a vegetable- lots of fiber, loads of vitamin A, and low calorie content- with the satisfying texture and weight of something starchier (like its flavor cousin, the sweet potato).

I discovered that I also love cold, roasted sweet potatoes after trying them at aWhole Foods Market salad bar a few months ago. But when I tried to replicate them at home and realized that even a generous 200-calorie portion looked like what one might feed a 2-year old, I was discouraged. But butternut squash tastes similar to sweet potatoes, but has about half the calories! One cup of cooked sweet potato has 180 calories, but a cup of butternut squash only has 80. So, this leads me (finally) to the recipe...

1. Start with a 20 oz. package of pre-cut butternut squash, or a whole one if you're masochistic and want to chop it up and remove the seeds yourself. Place the squash in a large bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, leaving a small part open to vent the steam.

2. Microwave the squash for 5 minutes, stir, and microwave for 2 another two minutes. Repeat until the squash is tender but not falling apart.

3. Spray a large sautee pan with an oil spray, get it warm, and add the squash to it being careful not to add any water from the bottom of the microwave bowl.

4. Add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, 2 tsp of butter or butter substitute (optional), and a few sprinkles of pumpkin pie spice (to taste).

5. Sautee until the squash is browned.

At this point, the squash is done. You have multiple options for serving it. I prefer it chilled or at room temperature. It just so happens that this also makes it easy for me to take it with me to classes and eat it where I may not have a microwave available. But, it is also good warm.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks fabulous, Kim! I hope you're doing well, and good luck with all your exams and other work!

    ReplyDelete